The Bonn Conference for Global Transformation at a glance
What is the Bonn Conference?
- The Bonn Conference for Global Transformation is an international series of conferences organised by the German federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. The Bonn Conference provides a platform for actors from the spheres of international cooperation, business, civil society, research and academia, and policy-making who are working on sustainable solutions to safeguard the future of our world.
- The series is being supported by strong partners: United Nations University, Sustainable Development Solutions Network and Deutsche Welle.
- The Bonn Conference for Global Transformation will be held in Bonn every two years, starting in 2015. The first conference will be held from 12 to 13 May 2015 under the banner ‘From Politics to Implementation’.
- The organisers are expecting several hundred participants from all over the world to attend.
What are the issues?
- The global community is facing a paradigm shift beginning in 2015. The Millennium Development Goals, which have focused primarily on developing countries, will be replaced by a new agenda for sustainable global development that will apply to all states alike, be they developing countries, emerging economies or industrialised nations. This post-2015 agenda is designed to drive a comprehensive global transformation towards sustainable development in all its facets.
- The Bonn Conference will support the discussion by examining how the new Sustainable Development Goals can be translated into practice and brought to life. In so doing, it aims to provide momentum for a global transformation of our world into one that is sustainable and feeds the experience of Germany (and North Rhine-Westphalia in particular) and the knowledge of various international cooperation actors into the process.
What can participants expect?
- The Bonn Conference has a clear practical orientation. Participants work together on specific issues and solutions, with the focus for 2015 being energy (Green Transformation) and inequality (Inclusive Transformation). The in-depth dialogue gives rise to new ideas so that participants will come away with suggestions and fresh inspiration for their day-to-day work.
- High-profile speakers: The Bonn Conference brings together the pioneers of global transformation to provide inspiration to delegates.
- The event thrives on dialogue. Delegates can contribute their perspectives and ideas during workshop sessions, discussions and other interactive formats.
- The Bonn Conference provides plenty of space for informal discussion in an inspiring environment, offering fertile ground for new partnerships, business relationships and networks that transcend national borders.
- It is well worth making the (long) trip to Bonn. The former West German capital on the banks of the Rhine has a great deal to offer professionals engaged in sustainability work. It is not without reason that Bonn is regarded as Germany's international cooperation hub. Delegates can book appointments with some of the organisations based in Bonn, such as the UN or the German Development Institute, before and after the conference. And it is only a short journey to Brussels, Cologne and Frankfurt.
+49 228 4460-1819
+49 228 4460-1431